Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Rem870 duckgun to tactical shotgun

Here is my Rem 870 "before" in it's duckgun configuration:

 Here it is after changing the 26" barrel with remchokes to a 20" imp cyl barrel with rifle-type sights:


Now to install a magazine extension kit. I bought a "+2 round" magazine extension kit made by Pro Mag. It is model PM159 for Rem 870/1100/11-87 models. It seems to be good quality anodized aluminum in a matte black which matches the matte black finish on my shotgun. Be sure to pick the one for your shotgun.


At first I thought I wanted a +3 round extension to go with my 20" barrel. But then I read somewhere that it would stick out beyond the end of the barrel too much. The +2 extension sticks out a little beyond my 20" barrel, but I guess I can live with that.

The newer model Rem 870's like mine have "dimples" in the magazine tube that must be removed before using the magazine extensions. Most people simply "Dremel" them out. I was hesitant to do so and found a site that tells how to press them out without ruining your magazine tube:
http://www.rem870.com/2010/01/17/removing-dimples-on-remington-870-magazine-tube/


But then I decided that I probably wasn't going to go back to the duckgun configuration. If I did go duckhunting again, I could still legally hunt with the mag extension, I'd just need to remember to add a longer "plug" before I went!   :)

So, here I go with my Dremel. The mag extension kit came with good instructions for removal of your old mag tube spring, including instructions for people who have the newer 870's with the plastic cap spring retainer. Note that it probably isn't necessary for you to completely remove the dimples. If you can get rid of enough of the dimples for everything to work, but not make holes through the side of your magazine tube that would be better, not allowing dirt etc inside your mag tube. But if you don't remove enough it won't function properly. When you work the slide, if the shells aren't pushed into the action under force and simply fall, then you know you didn't remove enough. Do it again. And then function test it again, etc etc until it works perfectly. Then take everything apart and clean it thoroughly to get rid of all the bits of Dremel stone & filings.

So here it is with the +2 mag extension:


Next I need to look at the stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment